Keynote: Defining Special Needs - From Nonspeaking to Professional Speaker
School Based Health Center (SBHC) staff members provide primary care medical, behavioral health, and oral health services in the school setting. They address and treat a multitude of physical and mental health issues and provide care for an increasingly wide range of health issues. The Connecticut Association of School Based Health Centers (CASBHC) organizes an annual conference to improve the quality of services provided in SBHCs. This year’s conference, “School Based Health Centers - Caring for the Whole Child,” will take place in-person on November 8, 2022.
Continuing education for the conference is made possible through the Community Health Center, Inc. (CHCI) and its Weitzman Institute, the research, education, and policy arm of CHCI. For every CME/CE-eligible session you attend and evaluate, you will receive the appropriate CME or CE credit amount. There is an opportunity to earn a maximum of 4.5 total CME/CE hours.
Please register only if you intend to attend the conference.
This conference is appropriate for the following audiences:
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs)
- Physician Assistants
- Medical Assistants
- Social Workers
- Registered Dental Hygienists
- School Nurses
The CASBHC 2022 Annual Conference: School Based Health Centers - Caring for the Whole Child will take place on November 8, 2022.
The following is a detailed schedule for the day:
8:00 am – 8:45 am: Registration, Networking, and Breakfast
8:45 am – 9:00 am: Welcome and Opening Remarks, Melanie Wilde-Lane, Executive Director
9:00 am – 10:15 am: Keynote: Defining Special Needs: From Nonspeaking to Professional Speaker, Dr. Kerry Magro
10:15 am – 10:45 am: Break and Exhibitors
10:45 am – 12:00 pm: Morning Workshops
- Session A1: Care for refugee and immigrant children: opportunities for medical care, legal advocacy, and community connections, Dr. Julia Rosenberg
- Session A2: Quality Suicide Prevention and Care for School Based Health Settings: Zero Suicide framework in Schools, Andrea Duarte, LCSW, MPH and Julia Goldstein Grumet PhD
- Session A3: Feel Your Best Self: A New Toolkit, Dr. Sandra Chafouleas and Dr. Emily Lovino
- Session A4: Caries Risk Assessment Review and Training: The “Who, What, When and Where” of the Program, Leigh-Lynn Vitukinas, RDH
- Session A5: The Language of Violence: A Call for Safety, Polly Marson, PhD
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Lunch, Exhibitors
12:30 pm – 12:45 pm: Acknowledgements
12:45 pm – 1:30 pm: Gizmo’s Pawesome Guide to Mental Health: an upstream approach to support the mental health and wellness of youth, Andrea Duarte: Gizmo 4 Mental Health
1:30 pm – 1:45 pm: Break and Exhibitors
1:45 pm – 3:00 pm: Afternoon Workshops
- Session B1: Newest Innovations in Diabetes Technology: Navigating the Use of Insulin Pumps, Continuous Glucose Monitors and Automated Insulin Delivery (AID) Systems, Kate Weyman MSN, APRN, FNP-C, CDCES
- Session B2: Misdiagnoses and Red Flags: How to approach clients from a problem-solving perspective, Dr. Alexandra Gozzola
- Session B3: Preparing for Emerging Infections in School, Dr. Thomas Murray
- Session B4: Every Smile Counts Survey for Children, Chantelle Archer, MPH and Lisa Budris MS, MPH
- Session B5: Dear Cis Het Clinicians…, Cody Helgesen, LPCA, NCC
3:00 pm: Conference Closes/Pick up Raffle Prizes
Dr. Kerry Magro Ed.D. is an award-winning autistic professional speaker, best-selling author and autism consultant to the HBO series Mrs. Fletcher that aired in Fall 2019 and the upcoming season of Netflix’s ‘Love on the Spectrum.’ He started professional speaking 11 years ago via the National Speakers Association after he fell in love with theatre as a child to help with his social and communication skills. Today he has spoken at over 1150 events during that time include 2 TEDxTalks and a 'Talks at Google' presentation. In addition, Kerry is CEO & President of KFM Making A Difference, a nonprofit organization that hosts inclusion events and has provided 100 scholarships for students with autism for college and counting since 2011. In his spare time, he hosts a Facebook Page called Kerry's Autism Journey that now has 218,000 Facebook followers where he does on-camera interviews highlighting people impacted by a diagnosis to breaking down barriers in our community. His videos he’s produced have been watched over 35 Million times.
Kerry’s best-selling books Defining Autism From The Heart, and Autism and Falling in Love, I Will Light It Up Blue and his latest, Autistics on Autism have reached Amazon Best-Seller Lists for Special Needs Parenting. He is based in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Weitzman Institute Disclosure Statement
It is the policy of the Weitzman Institute to ensure that Continuing Education (CE) activities are independent and free of commercial bias. To ensure educational content is objective, balanced, and guarantee content presented is in the best interest of its learners' and the public, the Weitzman Institute requires that everyone in a position to control educational content disclose all financial relationships with ineligible companies within the prior 24 months. An ineligible company is one whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients. Examples can be found at accme.org.
Faculty participating in a Weitzman Institute-sponsored activity must disclose to the planning committee and audience all financial or other relationship(s) with ineligible companies.
No faculty disclosed a relevant financial relationship for this program.
In support of improving patient care, Community Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credential Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Through Joint Accreditation, Community Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ to physicians at its activities via Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
By completing this activity you provide the Weitzman Institute permission to share completion data with the ACCME and the certifying board(s).
- 1.25 AAPA Category I CMEThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide American Academy of PAs (AAPA) credit to physician assistants at its activities. Participants should only claim commensurate credit with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.25 ACE/ASWBThrough Joint Accreditation Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) credit to social workers at its activities.
- 1.25 ACPEThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) credit to pharmacists at its activities.
- 1.25 ADA CERPThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. Concerns or complaints about a CE provider may be directed to the provider or to the Commission for Continuing Education Provider Recognition at ADA.org/CERP.
- 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Through Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ to physicians at its activities via Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
- 1.25 ANCCThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) nursing credit to nurses at its activities.
- 1.25 APAThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide American Psychological Association (APA) credit to psychologists at its activities.
- 1.25 CDRThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide CDR credits to registered dieticians at its activities.
- 1.25 Participation Hour(s)If you are not able to utilize any of the above credit types, you are able to download an unaccredited Participation Certificate for your records.