Improving COVID-19 Care for High-Risk, Vulnerable Populations through Case-based Simulation Modules
The overall goal of the collaboration across the Moses/Weitzman Health System, Inc. and its Weitzman Institute, ConferMED, and Med2Lab is to increase the awareness, knowledge, and confidence levels of Primary Care Providers (PCPs, including Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants) in Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) and other safety net practices that treat patients with multiple comorbidities who are at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19.
Through this collaboration, the Improving COVID-19 Care for High-Risk, Vulnerable Populations through Case-based Simulation Modules project ensures that PCPs are familiar with the national COVID-19 treatment guidelines for high-risk, non-hospitalized patients and can provide high-quality, appropriate care for their patients at greatest risk for progression to severe COVID-19.
Acknowledgement of Support
This activity is appropriate for the following audiences:
- Medical Providers (MDs, DOs, NPs)
- Physician Assistants
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to do the following:
- Recognize the need for early diagnosis and intervention for patients at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19
- Implement national COVID-19 treatment guidelines (e.g., NIH, IDSA, etc.) for COVID-19 in non-hospitalized patients at high risk of progression to severe illness
- Provide high-quality, appropriate care to their vulnerable and marginalized patients at greatest risk for progression to severe COVID-19
Stephen Scholand, MD, is an infectious disease specialist who practices at MidState Medical Center in Meriden, CT. Dr. Scholand is also an infectious disease eConsult reviewer for ConferMED. He received his medical degree from George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. He has been practicing for over 20 years.
Weitzman Institute Disclosure Statement
It is the policy of the Weitzman Institute to ensure that Continuing Education (CE) activities are independent and free of commercial bias. To ensure educational content is objective, balanced, and guarantee content presented is in the best interest of its learners' and the public, the Weitzman Institute requires that everyone in a position to control educational content disclose all financial relationships with ineligible companies within the prior 24 months. An ineligible company is one whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients. Examples can be found at accme.org.
Faculty participating in a Weitzman Institute-sponsored activity must disclose to the planning committee and audience all financial or other relationship(s) with ineligible companies.
No faculty disclosed a relevant financial relationship for this program.
In support of improving patient care, this activity was planned and implemented by Med2Lab, Inc. and Moses/Weitzman Health System and its Weitzman Institute and is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credential Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
By completing this activity you provide the Weitzman Institute permission to share completion data with the ACCME and the certifying board(s).
- 8.25 AAPA Category I CMEThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide American Academy of PAs (AAPA) credit to physician assistants at its activities. Participants should only claim commensurate credit with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 8.25 ACPEThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) credit to pharmacists at its activities.
- 8.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Through Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ to physicians at its activities via Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
- 8.25 ANCCThrough Joint Accreditation, Moses/Weitzman Health Center, Inc./Weitzman Institute is able to provide American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) nursing credit to nurses at its activities.
- 8.25 Participation Hour(s)If you are not able to utilize any of the above credit types, you are able to download an unaccredited Participation Certificate for your records.